Grayson Perry designed this embroidered Coming Out Dress for a performance that marked his emergence as a transvestite to the art world.
The Ballantyne Collection
The Ballantyne Collection holds the work of sixty studio potters from the 1950's to the 1990’s. This bowl is by Alan Caiger-Smith, 1973, made of red earthenware with a tin-glaze.
Dame Laura Knight, 1877–1970, enrolled at the Nottingham School of Art when she was only 13. She is known for her paintings of theatre and ballet subjects but was also the official artist at the Nuremberg Trials of Nazi war criminals.
A piece of Nottingham Leavers Machine Lace, 1910-1920, part of a collection of nearly 600 samples donated to the Castle Museum & Art Gallery by Nottingham Chamber of Commerce in 1878 - the year the museum opened.
The Castle Museum and Art Gallery
Local architect Thomas Chambers Hine redesigned the burned-out shell of Nottingham Castle into The Castle Museum and Art Gallery, opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales on 3rd July 1878. It was the first public art gallery outside London.
Thomas Cantrell Dugdale
A painting by Thomas Cantrell Dugdale of George Wallis, an artist and keeper at the South Kensington Museum in the 1880s. His son George Harry Wallis was Nottingham Castle Museum's first Director.
The burning of the Castle
As the House of Lords rejected The Reform Bill, supporters of the bill had gathered in Nottingham to hear speeches. The announcement of defeat resulted in mob violence breaking out and led to the burning of the Castle.
Richard Parkes Bonnington
Richard Parkes Bonnington lived in Nottingham until he was 14, when his family moved to France. He painted landscapes, often of costal scenes like this one - Fisherfolk on the Coast of Normandy, France.
The Pentrich Revolution
A group of men led by ‘Nottingham Captain’ Jeremiah Brandreth, marched for Nottingham to set up a ‘provisional government’. Betrayed by a spy, the uprising was stopped and the three ringleaders executed.
This Portland Vase is one of a small number of black and white Jasperware pottery ‘first edition’ vases that Josiah Wedgwood made. It is based upon the original Roman glass vase in the British Museum.
Salt-glazed stoneware jug made in Nottingham in the 18th century. Bear jugs were inspired by the cruel spectator sport of bear baiting, which was not abolished until 1835.
The Ducal Mansion
After the restoration of Charles II in 1660, the present 'Ducal Mansion' was built by Henry Cavendish, 2nd Duke of Newcastle. Between 1674 and 1679 it was erected on the foundations of the previous building.
The English Civil War
Charles I raised the Royal Standard here at the Castle to start the English Civil War in 1642. The original medieval fortress and occasional royal residence was then demolished to avoid it being reused for military purposes.
A picture of Robin Hood
Many legends of Robin Hood connect him to different parts of Nottinghamshire. This is the oldest known picture of Robin Hood, from a tract called ‘Here begynneth a gest of Robyn Hode’.
The Head of Saint John the Baptist on a Charger, an alabaster carved between 1450 and 1500 in Nottingham, this panel was part of an altarpiece.
The Peasants Revolt
The Peasants Revolt protested rural social and economic conditions, particularly poll tax and serfdom. Folklore characters like Robin Hood exemplified protest, justice and hope.
The Norman Castle
The first Norman castle was built on this site on the orders of William the Conqueror in 1068, the year after the Battle of Hastings.
A pair of votive hands
Roman votive offerings from the Temple of Diana Nemorensis at Lake Nemi near Rome. The site was excavated in 1885, thousands of objects were unearthed and about half of those are in the collection at Nottingham Castle’s Museum.